North Caldwell is a borough in northwestern Essex County, New Jersey, United States, and a suburb of New York City. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough's population was 6,183, reflecting a decline of 1,192 (-16.2%) from the 7,375 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 669 (+10.0%) from the 6,706 counted in the 1990 Census.
North Caldwell was incorporated by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 31, 1898, from portions of Caldwell Township (now known as Fairfield Township). In 1982, the borough was one of four Essex County municipalities to pass a referendum to become a township, joining 11 municipalities that had already made the change. Ultimately, more than a dozen Essex County municipalities reclassified themselves as townships in order take advantage of federal revenue sharing policies that allocated townships a greater share of government aid to municipalities on a per capita basis. Effective January 1, 1992, it again became a borough. The borough derives its name from Presbyterian minister James Caldwell.
New Jersey Monthly magazine ranked North Caldwell as its 10th best place to live in its 2010 rankings of the "Best Places To Live" in New Jersey, as well as the 3rd best place to live in its 2013 ranking.
The borough housed the Essex County Penitentiary, constructed in 1872 and used as the Essex County Jail Annex until 2004. Since 1920, the inmates at the jail had been included in the borough's population statistics by the Census Bureau. It was sold to K. Hovnanian Companies in 2002, which redeveloped the site into a residential community.
Search North Caldwell Homes for Sale
The dissemination of listings on this website does not constitute the consent required by N.J.A.C. 11:5.6.1 (n) for the advertisement of listings exclusively for sale by another broker. Any such consent must be obtained in writing from the listing broker.
Copyright © 2017 Garden State Multiple Listing Service, L.L.C. All rights reserved.